Monday, March 14, 2011

Hope

I feel opressed by sorrow, but I know in my head, even, that that isn't what will help the Earth. Faith and a good, strong heart will help, yet I feel heavy. I feel sad for the people who were lost in Japan, and for their families, be they living or dead. However, my sadness makes me realize that people are lost every moment of every day, and just because it isn't covered by CNN or Fox News doesn't mean it doesn't matter. It doesn't mean that those people who die obscured by the veil of distance or disconnection have any less value or merit any less love than those whose deaths are widely publisized. It shouldn't be this way - instead of just feeling sad for those whose losses we witness via the television, I see two options:

1. Feel sadness for all losses, including those unknown (In which case we would all be but Weeping Yogis, carrying the weight of death upon our shoulders without letting the Light dissolve our burdens)

or,

2. Sympathize, but refrain from getting too caught in the pain of others.



I feel as though my energies could be put to better use by shifting my focus - weeping alone in my room at night for the victims of a natural disaster will not help those still in need. How ignorant a race are we to ignore the threat until it has already been made manifest and taken lives? At risk of sounding cynical or abusing dark humor, I feel as though (myself included) we carry on our lives with blinders on, worrying about comparatively trivial problems (I don't have enough money for this video game that I want) when people are suffering and struggling to fulfill the bottom of the hierarchy of needs.



But how can this possibly be sustainable? How can one live a life of unrest until these problems are solved? One can work tirelessly and endlessly for years and it will not stop the waves. It will not stop the fires or the quakes or the car accidents. There is death and sickness in this world.

So why is this sad?



A Buddhist would tell me that the root of all pain and unhappiness is attachment. Perhaps this is logical and true, but does that mean we should not grow attached to things? Does the love of God not flow through attachment?

So let's say both these statements are true: pain roots in loss which is a situational consequence of attachment; while these attachments are fulfilling to the human spirit and educational to the soul. What is the answer?



I believe Yoda puts it best:
"Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed, that is."

It is difficult. Maybe you think I'm heartless by saying these things, and if I ever shed a tear due to a loss, think me not a hypocrite. I'm not attempting to communicate there will be no pain, or that there should be no pain. My point is that there will be, because death is an ending. My point is also that there is birth, and it is beautiful, and when we get caught up in one or the other we lose balance. What if CNN reported the birth of every new and healthy baby in the world? Would that not lose it's novelty? However, death is perpetually frightening. This is still a mystery to me.
I have to go now, but I pray the best for Japan, and I pray for the grief to be lifted from where it weighs the heaviest. I pray that light shine on the darkness and the will of God be carried out in love. I love you all. Sleep well, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment