Monday, August 23, 2010

Good Afternoon.


The little one left for camp, today. By little one, I mean brother. It's weird. I hope he has a hell of a time, though. Folks normally do, where he's going, but he's never been away before. We'll see. I think I miss him...

A couple days ago I spent some time with my grandmother. She's a beautiful and generous woman, but one of the things that makes her so hilarious to be around is her honesty and mild racism. Honestly? It's those little quirks that cause me to admire her so. Long drives to various malls were made so much more intruiging by her views on life, her derogatory observations, and her attempts at explaining why the world is the way it is.

After the first full day of hardcore shopping, I was rather tired, and thus decided to have a nap. It didn't occur to me that I would, perhaps, wake up at 10 and, perhaps, be obligated to sleep again. Essentially I stayed up till three o'clock am, looking through old photo albums. I loved so many of the pictures, and was very tempted to steal a select few. I refrained, fortunately. Stealing memories from your grandmother is rather immoral, I assumed. Eventually I slipped into an uneasy sleep and dreamt about C-sections and wild hogs.

The next evening I was fortunate enough to have dinner with my grandmother, my mother, and my grandma's friend, Anne. They were all lovely company; even moreso after a martini. They each encouraged me to take a sip from their glasses. My mom had a Guiness martini, which was actually delicious. Anne had a green apple martini, which was also pretty good. My grandmother's tasted like gasoline, and they all had a good laugh while I sputtered and spat. Oh, silly young one.

I had a good night, after that. A good night.

As of late I feel like I've been a bit of a rollercoaster. Sometimes it's somewhat difficult to find direction, to find purpose. I'll try relaxing into the flow, that should help. It always does. I should go, I have acupuncture in a half-hour. Enjoy the internets!

No comments:

Post a Comment