Thursday, April 7, 2011

Parallels

I want to write a novel. I know that I can, and I know that I have a bunch of stories and worlds and messages swirling around in my heart that I want to get printed on paper. So badly. I want to be the next Madeleine L'Engle, the next J.R.R Tolkien, the next J.K Rowling or C.S Lewis. I want some people to read my book and think I'm absolutely bonkers or on some kind of radical hallucinogen, and I want other people to read it and really get it on every level. I want my grandma to read it and say what she said about Harry Potter; "She was on drugs." How do I write this sort of thing? How do I write such an inwardly intricate, outwardly adventurous book? I want the next generation of "nerds" to be because of my book. I want people to say, "You read S. E. Thompson's book instead of going to the party?! What a loser." I want to have as many spiritual parallels as Star Wars. I want everyone to fall in love with my main character, but not in an Edward Cullen way. In an, "I feel strangely akin to this fictional character" way, the same kind of thing that makes you feel sad when the story's through, but you go on with your life with them following you in your mind, constantly reassuring you. "C'mon, you can totally write this math test. If I can fight a dragon with a kitchen knife, you can write this math test." And then the little nerd kid will puff up their chest and friggin' WRITE IT. Anyways, I have a bunch of stuff I want to do today, before I go to work. So I guess I'll talk to you later. I am both glad and somewhat nervous that this passion of mine has surfaced after incubating in my heart for a time. Now I am eager to write and succeed, but I can just tell that there will be more self-exploration in the writing process than I can fortell. And sometimes, that gets messy. I don't even care, though. Let's do this thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment