Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Pheonix

So I'm getting pretty tired of this shit. My room is a mess, my journal is blank, and my songwriting's blocked. Something's obviously been going on and that something is going to gtfo right this instant. Ya hear?

Here's a song I wrote a long time ago. By that I mean like 2 months and by that I mean it's true.




Gold & Green
I hate that when my basement floods
You're still the one I'm thinkin' 'bout
As I panic, and throw towels at the floor.

Even in these trying times
I still talk to you in rhymes
And I'm not too sure that I can't take much more.


Diggin' through the dirt to clean the storm drain
Not bothering to shelter myself from the rain
Endlessly pushing through worms, leaves and bark
Nothing on my mind but that breathtaking spark
And nothing on my lips but a smile in the dark

Now the door is closed, and the flood contained
But I've not yet grown bitter to the sound of the rain

And, moving books to boxes that won't mold
I'm startled by the absence of frustration
It's 2:30AM and I'm way too cold
But I'm wrapped in the blanket of elation


Nothing to do but hum softly at you
My hands still flecked with dirt
The stucco doesn't care for my antics,
So I bid it adieu
And I guess, to you too
When I shut my eyes and threw my mind to hope.


The maple taste still on my tongue
It hits me that we're so young
And beautiful, and fresh and dumb.
So many mistakes left to make
So many patterns to break
And holy shit, so many risks to take


So look at my eyes just one more time
And tell me that you don't see
Inside the rings of gold and green
Everything you mean to me.



*******



And there you have it. My version of a love song.
I'll play it for you sometime if you ask me IRL. I dare you.
Now I'm gonna go clean my room and my spirit. Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment