Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Age Fiction

I have 4 minutes before class. Whoopsies - But I wrote a short story.

*******

I woke and rose from the bed, the red quilt spilling from my warm, sleep-flushed body. Dust motes sparkled and danced in the golden light of the sunset.
I was alone.

Maneuvering skillfully around sacks of books half my height and tiptoeing around the scattered stones on my creme carpet, I found clothes with which to dress myself. Upon exiting my stuffy sanctuary, I was struck by the cold clarity of pure air. The desert stretched far to the double horizon. A strip of orange sky boasted beauty between the two Earths. I looked up to the Second, and saw the same business and busy-ness that I saw with each glance upwards. I gave a gray sigh.

I pulled my chair out from under my table, the legs of it scraping against the rock and packed sand. I sat at my table eating my toast with blackberry jam, and wondering.
I wondered how they always knew what to do next - like there's an endless list of tasks they adhere to. I wondered what would happen if I jumped high enough; would I fall back down to my Earth? Or would I fall to theirs? If I did, where would I get my list? Who would tell me what to do?

I could feel blackberry jam on my lip but the silence told me to leave it. I got up from the chair and stretched, extending my arms to the world above. I couldn't decide if I admired it, or thought it silly.
Upset with my confusion, I sat on my bum on the ground and began to sink my fists into a soft patch of sand. Despite my angst, I wondered idly if my small, delicate fists had the potential to hurt my Earth. Fearing the answer may be yes, I withdrew my hands and placed them in my lap in shame. I sat like that for a while, frowning tearfully in self-pity at the disturbed sand.

I heard the wind before I felt it, but then a kind zephyr fluttered to me and caressed my face as a sign of acceptance. I leaned back on my hands and lifted my chin to open to the zephyr, but my attention was tugged by the sensation of soft movement under my hands. My Earth was reacting to my touch; a lush and thick green grass sprouted fluidly from between my fingers. The zephyr smiled and stole away with my breath. I lifted and turned my body to face this new life, but when I withdrew my hands, the grass wilted and died. I was deeply saddened, but not without hope.

I bent myself until my lips touched the Earth, wishing life and color upon the ground. She responded avidly, and in an instant my desert was transformed into an emerald haven. The blades tickled my cheek as I lay, and whispered secrets into my ear - secrets the stones and dust had never told.

Rolling onto my back, I smiled with every fibre of my being at the Second, loving it without knowing it. The grass smiled with me until the orange strip of sky faded, and the stars woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment